12.21.2010

TKAM-Jem's Journal

August 13, 1939
            I met Dill today; he is such a curious little guy and also boastful that he has the ability to read, which seems like no one could read except him. He is from Merdian, Mississippi, and his real name is Charles Baker Harris. Every summer he will come and visit his aunt until school starts. His family seems to be rich since he wore fine linen clothes, but his relationship with his father seems to be loose. Scout was curious about his life and his family, so she kept on asking questions about his father, but I stopped her in time since the expression on Dill’s face told that his tears were going to fall at any moment. Then we talked about the Radley’s place and their rumors, which really frightened Dill.
One day, Dill suddenly came up with an idea to dare me to touch the Radley’s house. Every kid in town knew that they would be eaten or be haunted by Boo if anyone bothered him. I was afraid to do such dangerous dare, so I came up with reasons and excuses. Yet, Dill inflamed my anger and said I was a coward. At night, I had been rolling on my bed and thinking of that dare.  A man’s honor was greater than anything else, I thought, and I accepted to do that dare. When I walked near to the corner of the lot, I was very regretful. My hands were sweaty; my heart was pumping so loud and hard that I would feel it was going to explode. I took a deep breath then closed my eyes and sped to the side of the house and touched it! I turned back and ran away from that scary house. Now that I think of it, it wasn’t as frightening as I thought; at least Boo didn’t haunt me down. For the rest of the summer, Scout, Dill, and I spent time together and played.

No comments:

Post a Comment