12.25.2010

TKAM-Jem's Journal

November 17, 1940
            It was winter and the weather became colder than usual. It was snowing outside. Scout and I were so excited and surprised. We went to Ms. Maudie’s to make a snowman. Since it was the first time that Maycomb had snow, making a snowman was quite a difficult work for us. Although it was cold, my body was filled with hot blood circulating through out. Yet, it stopped snowing in the afternoon.
            There was fire at Ms. Maudie’s house at one in the morning. The whole neighbourhood was wakened by the fire and people’s scream. Although we were worried of Ms. Maudie, we were not able to help at all. It was freezing out there. I began to feel my legs are becoming two Popsicle sticks. When I looked at Scout, there was a blanket was wrapped around Scout’s shoulder. Then many images appeared in my head and also included the person who gave us gifts in the tree hole. I went crazy and scared all in a sudden and told Atticus what happened that night. There was an exclamation mark shown on Atticus’s face, but he was not angry. As soon as I knew who put the blanket around Scout, I felt like my legs had no more energy and I was about to fall onto the ground. Yet, it was too cold to sit on the ground, so I kept standing.
            I had never known that Boo was a very gentle and caring person, since he only appeared as a monster in our imaginations. Although that was Boo’s real personality, I still didn’t believe it and it was hard for me to accept this truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment