12.23.2010

TKAM-Jem's Journal

August 31, 1940
             It was Dill’s last night in Maycomb, so Scout and I went to his place. Dill came up with the idea of peeping in the window to get a look at Boo Radley. We quickly went to the Radley Place. Scout and I made a saddle and Dill sat on it, but he couldn’t see anything so we tried to peep from the back window. While I was crawling to the window, there was a dark shadow. I was so scared that I galloped towards Scout and Dill like a leopard and escaped through the fence by the school yard. I was very unfortunate that my pants were stuck in the fence. No matter how I struggled, my pants did not come loose until Scout helped me. My heart was still pounding even when we safely arrived home without notice. Yet, everyone noticed I was not wearing any pants, and Atticus started questioning and suspecting, but I was saved by Dill’s splendid excuses. When Atticus went to sleep, I snuggled out of bed and went back to the fence in the dark to retrieve my pants with the help of Scout for watching out for Atticus.
            I couldn’t let Atticus find out that we had once again bothered Boo Radley, and I didn’t want to see his furious face. I still remembered the feeling when my pants were stuck in the fence, and I was beyond the line of death. When I saw Mr. Radley with his rifle, I thought I would be the dead Negro if I hadn’t escape in time. Snuggling back to the fence was not easy; I had to look around every step I took, and I felt like I was a thief. Sweats came off my face and my nerves were tight again with heavy suspicions of any followers behind me. At that moment, I deeply understood how the thieves were like when they were stealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment